A Sound Farm Program Benefitting All Americans
A thriving agricultural economy benefits all Americans, and depends on a sound farm bill. The farm bill helps farmers and ranchers deal with the risks that threaten their ability to produce the food, fiber and fuel we all need.
As Congress begin to debate the 2013 farm bill against a backdrop of decreasing government funding, the American Farm Bureau Federation places a high priority on ensuring the farm bill benefits all agricultural commodity sectors in a balanced, coordinated manner. We will seek balance among all producers’ interests.
AFBF policy supports strengthening crop insurance and offering farmers a choice of program options to complete their “safety net.” In addition, AFBF supports providing programs that encourage farmers to follow market signals rather than make planting decisions based on government payments.
A sound, thriving agriculture economy benefits all Americans: from the boots-in-the-dirt producers to the urban consumer. A budget-responsible farm bill is a key component in the toolbox that ensures farmers and ranchers can address the risks that threaten their ability to produce the food, feed, fiber and increasingly, the fuel that feeds the nation and many around the world. It also provides substantial benefits through nutrition assistance to our fellow citizens whose personal income has been severely impacted by the turmoil in our national economy.
- A strong safety net that covers deep, catastrophic losses that producers can tailor to their farms;
- Programs that ensure farmers can respond to market signals;
- The protection and improvement of working lands conservation programs;
- A cost effective farm bill that makes the necessary budget cuts without saddling farmers and ranchers an unfair share burden.
- AFBF Joins Groups in New Crop Insurance AgreementFarm Bureau News | May 7, 2013
- Let’s Keep the Food in Food AidBy AFBF President Bob Stallman | May 15, 2013
- For Smart Agriculture Policy, Give Farmers the Right ToolsBy AFBF President Bob Stallman | The Hill - February 26, 2013
- AFBF Statement Regarding Farm Program Cuts to Avert SequestrationFarm Bureau Newsroom - February 15, 2013
- NEWSLINE: Big Issues for Farmers and Ranchers in the State of the UnionFarm Bureau Newsroom - February 14, 2013
- AFBF Delegates Call for Flexible, Insurance-Based Farm BillFarm Bureau Newsroom - January 15, 2013
- Senate Judiciary Committee Approves Immigration Reform Bill May 23, 2013 - Farm Bureau Newsroom
- Farmers hope immigration bill yields more foreign farm workers May 22, 2013 - McClatchy Washington Bureau
- Senators swat away amendments, retain much of bipartisan immigration bill May 17, 2013 - Tribune Washington Bureau