A Sound Farm Program Benefitting All Americans
A thriving agricultural economy benefits all Americans, and depends on a sound farm bill. The farm bill helps farmers and ranchers deal with the risks that threaten their ability to produce the food, fiber and fuel we all need.
As Congress begin to debate the 2013 farm bill against a backdrop of decreasing government funding, the American Farm Bureau Federation places a high priority on ensuring the farm bill benefits all agricultural commodity sectors in a balanced, coordinated manner. We will seek balance among all producers’ interests.
AFBF policy supports strengthening crop insurance and offering farmers a choice of program options to complete their “safety net.” In addition, AFBF supports providing programs that encourage farmers to follow market signals rather than make planting decisions based on government payments.
A sound, thriving agriculture economy benefits all Americans: from the boots-in-the-dirt producers to the urban consumer. A budget-responsible farm bill is a key component in the toolbox that ensures farmers and ranchers can address the risks that threaten their ability to produce the food, feed, fiber and increasingly, the fuel that feeds the nation and many around the world. It also provides substantial benefits through nutrition assistance to our fellow citizens whose personal income has been severely impacted by the turmoil in our national economy.
- A strong safety net that covers deep, catastrophic losses that producers can tailor to their farms;
- Programs that ensure farmers can respond to market signals;
- The protection and improvement of working lands conservation programs;
- A cost effective farm bill that makes the necessary budget cuts without saddling farmers and ranchers an unfair share burden.
- Statement Regarding House Passage of the Farm BillFarm Bureau Newsroom | July 11, 2013
- Splitting the Farm Bill Is a Bad IdeaFarm Bureau News | July 8, 2013
- Op-Ed by Florida Farm Bureau President John Hoblick: Farm bill designed to provide support for all citizensGainesville Sun | June 30, 2013
- For Smart Agriculture Policy, Give Farmers the Right ToolsBy AFBF President Bob Stallman | The Hill - February 26, 2013
- Meeting the Food Challenges of Tomorrow Through the Legacy of Borlaug | Commentary Mar 25, 2014 - Roll Call
- American Farm Bureau Welcomes 2014 Farm Bill Feb 7, 2014 - Farm Bureau Newsroom
- Even Farm Bill Signing Controversial Feb 7, 2014 - Politico
- Washington Update Sept. 8 | Congress Returns Sep 8, 2014 - The Washington Update is written by William K. Moore of Vianovo
- Washington Update -- August 25, 2014 | Congress returns next week before the Elections Aug 25, 2014 - The Washington Update is written by William K. Moore of Vianovo
- EDITORIAL: EPA regulations provide little long-term benefit Aug 13, 2014 - The Daily Oklahoman