A Sound Farm Program Benefitting All Americans
A thriving agricultural economy benefits all Americans, and depends on a sound farm bill. The farm bill helps farmers and ranchers deal with the risks that threaten their ability to produce the food, fiber and fuel we all need.
As the Agriculture Committees in Congress begin to draft a 2013 farm bill against a backdrop of decreasing government funding, the American Farm Bureau Federation has put forward a farm bill proposal that:
- is financially responsible,
- provides a measure of equity across crop sectors, and
- helps farmers and ranchers deal with the weather and market risks they face.
AFBF policy supports strengthening crop insurance and offering farmers a choice of program options to complete their “safety net.” In addition, AFBF supports providing programs that encourage farmers to follow market signals rather than make planting decisions based on government payments.
AFBF’s farm bill proposal meets the policy objectives outlined by its grassroots leaders. The AFBF proposal is budget-responsible, yet it also advocates for a meaningful safety net by calling for the higher funding base as provided by the Senate. The proposal is comprehensive and provides risk management tools as a safety net for a broad range of producers, from row crop to fruit and vegetable growers.
- A strong safety net that covers deep, catastrophic losses that producers can tailor to their farms;
- Programs that ensure farmers can respond to market signals;
- The protection and improvement of working lands conservation programs;
- A cost effective farm bill that makes the necessary budget cuts without saddling farmers and ranchers an unfair share burden.
- Let’s Keep the Food in Food AidBy AFBF President Bob Stallman | May 15, 2013
- For Smart Agriculture Policy, Give Farmers the Right ToolsBy AFBF President Bob Stallman | The Hill - February 26, 2013
- AFBF Statement Regarding Farm Program Cuts to Avert SequestrationFarm Bureau Newsroom - February 15, 2013
- NEWSLINE: Big Issues for Farmers and Ranchers in the State of the UnionFarm Bureau Newsroom - February 14, 2013
- AFBF Delegates Call for Flexible, Insurance-Based Farm BillFarm Bureau Newsroom - January 15, 2013